Remember that big box of plant loot I got from Meta’s? Need to refresh your memory, it’s the last photo here. I saw her on a Thursday and I planted the daylilies on Saturday. I cut off all but 3 inches of the daylily tops so they wouldn’t have to support all that foliage while re-establishing their roots.
There were so many daylilies in that copy paper box, I dug 27 holes and planted several daylilies in each hole. I made a semi-circle around the common milkweed (the tall mostly leafless stalks seen in these photos). I will plant more milkweed in that area next spring. Behind the milkweed, I planted three straight rows of daylilies. Here’s their growth progress over a three week period:
By the way, Meta grew all of these daylilies from proliferations on two of her daylilies. Proliferations are leafy shoots, sometimes with roots, that pop out on the scapes (bloom stalks) of a daylily. Not all daylilies produce proliferations but it’s a quick way to multiply your collection of a particular daylily that does produce them because proliferations are clones of the mother plant.